The Inishowen peninsula is surrounded by many wrecks, including some of the following: One near Portaleen, one between Culdaff Head and Glengad Head, 18 near Inishtrahull Island including, from 1918, a World War 1 German sub. U.B. 109 and a Greek cargo-ship, the Argo Delos, which in 1960, was heading for Cuba.
There are 9 wrecks near Inishowen Head, and in Kinnagoe Bay there is the famous La Trinidad Valencera of the Spanish Armada, which foundered in 1588. In Lough Swilly there lies The Laurentic, which was carrying a fortune in gold to repay British War Debts.
Near Malin Head there are over 30 wrecks quite near the coastline due to both World Wars and a treacherous coastline. There is now a fully equipped diving school based at Malin Town.